Chimney leak – and the quest to get it repaired

by Mars
3 comments

It’s been a trying time. Last week, we had some strong winds and driving rain. On Thursday evening my wife went to her dressing room to find water marks on the ceiling. Another leak!

It didn’t take us long to determine that we were clearly getting water making its way into the house via the chimney.

We checked the inside of the wood burning stoves and they were drying indicating that the water wasn’t coming in via the flue liners. Not a surprise as we’d had these professionally replaced last year.

Out came the Canon zoom lens. It would appear from the photos that there is a hole above the lead flashing.

Seeking professional assistance

Despite my growing appetite for DIY and taking on projects, we decided to hand this one over to the professionals for two key reasons.

One, I suffer from terrible acrophobia (it’s about 10 meters from the ground to our gutter and another 3-4 from there to the chimney) and two, it’s an awfully long way to the ground if we were to have a mishap.

The ‘simple’ solution is to get some professional roofers and brickies to help us patch up any holes before considering a rebuild next summer.

On Friday, we spent four hours on the phone speaking to scores of roofers, brickies, builders and even chimney sweeps – the general disinterest and lack of urgency was worrying.

Most told us they could “fit us in” for repair work in 3-4 months time due to their busy schedules. Great. So for the next three months we’d just be getting more and more water damage and damp inside the house. Not useful.

Finally, a reputed roofing company said they’d come out on Saturday to evaluate the damage and quote us. Awesome. They turned up without any equipment or ladders, and upon checking out our photos the general consensus was a gap in the lead flashing was the potential cause.

They said they’d send out a team on Monday to do the repair work. A team did arrive, with no ladders or equipment, and said they’d be back in a couple of hours. That was four days ago.

The issue, we think, is that this project isn’t big enough for specialists, but it’s also not small enough to get done over lunch hour or on the way home. And we’re stuck.

We are still following up with the people we’ve contacted, but to no avail. At this rate, we may just have to look at hiring or buying equipment to get us on the roof safely and getting the patch job done ourselves.

The quest for a solution continues.

3 comments

3 comments

Another inconvenient and annoying water outage » My Home Farm 26 December 2019 - 14:21

[…] been a testing couple of weeks with leaky chimneys and our bathroom gutting and refit project, so it was great to unwind on Christmas Day and enjoy […]

Reply
Vermin in cavity walls: Sonic Broom » My Home Farm 26 January 2020 - 16:35

[…] the master math room refit and chimney rebuild, we’ve recently had to turn our attention to dealing with vermin in cavity […]

Reply
Rebuilding a period chimney using awesome modern day techniques » My Home Farm 5 February 2020 - 07:01

[…] had to rebuild our chimney. It took a long time to find and appoint the right builders and roofers, but we’re extremely […]

Reply

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by My Home Farm.

You may also like

%d bloggers like this: